Learn more about the Lithium-Ion batteries that power the WingtraOne and learn how to charge and store them.
Before going to the field, you have to charge the batteries for the WingtraOne drone, remote control (RC) and tablet. The following sections describe how to charge the drone batteries. See Charging accessories for details about how to charge RC and tablet.
Lithium ion batteries
The WingtraOne is powered by a pair of 4S3P lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries. For a charging manual see below.
Lithium-Ion battery packs may get hot, explode or ignite, and cause serious injury if exposed to abusive conditions. Be sure to follow the safety warnings listed below.
- Do not pierce the battery with nails, strike the battery with a hammer, step on the battery, or otherwise subject it to strong impacts or shocks
- Do not expose the battery to water or salt water, or allow it to get wet
- Always use the correct charging mode (LiIo CHARGE)
- Do not leave battery packs unattended during charging, and make sure to place them away from highly flammable environments, such as wood or carpet; it is recommended to charge batteries in a fire-proof container
- Keep batteries within 10°C to 40°C (50°F to 104°F) before they are used—do not leave them in the sun or in a hot car
We expect all users of Li-ion batteries to be professionals and to have the capability to handle emergency cases.
Charging Li-ion 4S3P batteries
You can attach the included charging system to a power outlet or, in the field, to a car battery. Set up your charging system as shown below and mind the following instructions:
- Select the mode by clicking on “Batt Type,” navigate to LiIo mode with the “Dec” and “Inc” buttons, and confirm with the “start/enter” button
- Set the charging current to 7.5A, which corresponds to 1C. To do this, press “ENTER” to start changing this setting, and press “Enter” again to confirm
- Confirm your settings by pressing the “enter” button for two seconds
- Check the settings (LiIo CHARGE mode, 7.5A), and confirm by pressing “enter”
Charging empty batteries takes approximately one hour. Once the charging is finished, you'll get an audio confirmation, and you can see the message "finish" on the display (16.4 Volt corresponds to fully-charged batteries). Press "stop" before you disconnect the batteries.
Always use and charge the 4S batteries in pairs as they are labeled (pairs have the same number and color), i.e., do NOT fly with two batteries that have different color labels.
Charger setup (office)
Charger setup (car battery)
Field Charging Extension Cord (FCEC)
The optional field charging extension cord (FCEC) accessory offers another level of convenience to charging WingtraOne drone batteries in the field. It does this by enabling users to position and use the charger inside their vehicle.
The 5m FCEC provides an easy solution to conveniently charge the drone batteries inside the car. While the clamps still connect to the car engine, the drone battery charger and the drone batteries can stay in the cabin, where they can be safely placed and easily monitored. This makes temperature control much simpler as well, since the batteries must not overheat. For more information, you can check the Charging batteries in the field article.
Storing Li-ion 4S3P batteries
In case you anticipate a long pause in your operations, batteries should be stored in a secure, cool, ventilated environment. Do not store the batteries in areas receiving direct sunlight. The temperature of the area should not be higher than 25 °C.
The batteries should not be deeply discharged when they will be stored for a long period. Empty batteries might not be able to be charged again. For long-term storage, discharge the batteries to about 50 percent (at least two LEDs lit on the battery).
The batteries can be discharged using the same charging system and following the instructions:
- Instead of the default charging setting “LiIo charge”, choose “LiIo storage.” Change this setting by pressing the button “Inc."
- Start the process by pressing and holding the “Start” button for two seconds, until it beeps, and press “Start” again.
The batteries will be discharged until the most suitable level for storage is reached. Please note that the discharge current is limited, therefore discharging the batteries requires a significantly longer time than charging. The quickest way to discharge the battery to the desired level is by flying WingtraOne and hovering before landing until the storage level is reached.