Step-by-step PPK software setup (WingtraHub)
Step 0: System requirements for WingtraHub
WingtraHub requires Windows OS 10.
Step 1: Download WingtraHub and tutorial
Click the button above to download WingtraHub and the tutorial data. Unzip the downloaded folder, in which you will find the .exe file and a folder called "WingtraHub Tutorial."
Step 2: Install WingtraHub
Double click the WingtraHub-installer_0.X.0.exe file. You may have to grant permission for an installation from an untrusted source to proceed with the installation.
Make sure the WingtraHub is installed locally. Remote installation could lead to reduced functionalities of WingtraHub.
Step 3: Adjust WingtraHub settings
Open WingtraHub to finalize the setup. If opened for the first time WingtraHub welcomes you with a language selector screen. You have the option to choose from English, Japanese, simplified Chinese, and Spanish.
After selecting the language and accepting the Wingtra EULA, you can choose the desired format of the output *.csv file in the "Settings" tab. Please select the *.csv file style that matches your image post-processing software. In the settings you also have the option to change the display language at a later stage.
Step 4: Insert one-time license activation USB stick and PPK license dongle
Insert the two USB sticks from your PPK kit into your computer. The orange one-time license activation USB stick will only be needed for the setup and can be removed from your computer after this tutorial. The grey PPK license dongle needs to be inserted into your machine whenever you process PPK data. Note: The dongle and the license file are paired—make sure you use the grey dongle in the computer with the license activated by its orange one-time license USB pair.
Step 5: Tutorial and activation
Process the downloaded sample images to finalize the setup and learn to process your WingtraOne PPK data. Note that the provided images included in the WingtraHub download are thumbnails only. The sample project in full resolution is also available here (4.5GB).
- If not opened already, start WingtraHub and go to "Processing."
- Click on the downloaded "WingtraPilotProjects" folder, which contains the tutorial project and then click "Select Folder" on the lower right to proceed.
- WingtraHub will display all projects within your WingtraPilotProjects folder. If you have more projects you can sort, arrange the projects in a desired order or search for project names. Select the sample project and click "Next" to reach the processing page.
- On the lower-left corner click on "Select license file." Browse to the USB stick (only one USB stick named "Septentrio" will be visible). Then select the file within the "License" folder.
- Once you have selected the correct license file, WingtraHub will display "PPK ready" towards the bottom left.
- You can now unplug the orange dongle. Keep it in a safe location in case you want to process PPK data with its paired grey dongle on another machine in the future. The grey dongle always has to be plugged into the computer in order to run PPK processing. We recommend you keep this dongle inserted in the computer you use to regularly process data.
- For your sample project, make sure the option "PPK processing" is activated. Select the base files (RINEX). You can find them in the base folder, with the WingtraPilotProjects folder inside the downloaded tutorial. Select all available RINEX files.
- And click "Done."
- Define the base location. Click on "Base location" and then click on "Add new."
- Add a new base station location and give it a descriptive name—WingtraHub will remember your base locations. You can find the base coordinates for the sample project in a text file within the "/Base" folder of the tutorial. The base location can be entered using cartesian or geodetic coordinates.
- Once the coordinates are entered press "Save," and select the newly created base location in the base location selector.
- Click "Start processing" in the bottom right corner and observe the processing steps. For batch processing of several projects, WingtraHub will automatically process one project after another.
- Have a look at your results. WingtraHub will display the PPK fix percentage and the horizontal and vertical accuracies for each project individually. To access the full output, navigate to /WingtraPilotProjects/SampleProject Flight 01/OUTPUT and inspect the geotag pdf report, the geotags.csv file, and the geotagged images (optional). Use the images and the .csv file for processing in Pix4D, Agisoft Photoscan or your choice of compatible post-processing software. We recommend importing the coordinates and geotagging accuracies from the .csv file, because the accuracy is not written to the EXIF of the images.
Finished! Go flying and process your first PPK projects
Now that you successfully completed the WingtraOne PPK tutorial, you are ready for your first real project. Take WingtraOne out on one or several flight(s), insert the camera SD card into your computer, select the /WingtraPilotProjects folder on the SD card and run geotagging accordingly. More information about geotagging (e.g. batch processing) can be found here: PPK Geotagging, Non-PPK Geotagging. For different options on how to provide your base files (RINEX) and base location, check out this PPK base station article. To learn how to process the geotagged images in a photogrammetry software, read this Image post-processing article.