Learn how to update the software of your WingtraOne and WingtraPilot. Both systems always need to run on the same software version!
You will profit from software updates Wingtra provides for both WingtraPilot and the WingtraOne firmware. When connected to the internet, WingtraPilot will inform you when a new update is available with the following message.
To enable the latest software improvements, please follow the instructions below to update your WingtraPilot and WingtraOne.
Before updating the operating system of your tablet, please have a look at recommended Android OS version.
The updating process consists of three main steps
- Download latest release
- Updating WingtraPilot
- Updating WingtraOne
Step 1: Download latest Wingtra release
- Start WingtraPilot
- Open the "Update" menu under the WingtraPilot "Settings" tab
- On the left side (A) you will see the release information about the latest Wingtra release and a notice that this release hasn't been downloaded yet. The Wingtra release contains both a WingtraPilot and a WingtraOne firmware release. Using the drop-down menu, you can also take a look at the release information from earlier Wingtra releases
- Note: There is no need to update one version at a time. If you missed an update you can jump directly to the newest version and update the WingtraPilot and Wingtraone firmware directly.
- On the right side (B), click on "Download latest Wingtra release vX.Y.Z" to start the download of the latest Wingtra release. Make sure you are connected to the internet
- Wait until the top progress bar is full and you see "Download complete" in (B). If the download does not complete within five minutes, close WingtraPilot and try again
- You can now continue with the WingtraPilot update
Step 2: Update WingtraPilot
- In (A), click on "Update WingtraPilot to release Version vX.Y.Z"
- Follow the installer. You may grant permission to install an application from an unknown source
- After the installation is complete, WingtraPilot will close, and you will be asked if you want to open it again. Click on "Open"
- In case the installation of WingtraPilot fails, you can also download it by clicking on DOWNLOAD WingtraPilot 1.10.1 and install manually
Step 3: Update WingtraOne firmware
- Ensure that your WingtraOne is powered off
- Remove the SD card of the camera of WingtraOne and insert it into the tablet. Since there are two different camera systems, the firmware update process is slightly different depending on your use of either RX1 or QX1/RedEdge. Specifically, when you load the firmware file on to the SD card, the location for the QX1 and RedEdge is NOT in the camera and is to be inserted in the plane with a dongle adapter
- Insert the camera SD card with the provided USB adapter into the tablet.
- Click on "Select camera SD card to copy release version vX.Y.Z" and select the SD card root directory
- After the copying is finished, remove the SD card from the tablet and reinsert it into the camera of WingtraOne or the plane depending on camera configuration
- Power WingtraOne and connect the telemetry to the tablet
- Once connected, an update dialog box should appear asking for the update of WingtraOne to start as shown below. If it does not appear, click to the General tab so the following dialog appears
- Click on "Update now" to start the update process. WingtraPilot will lose the telemetry connection for about one minute during the update process. Important: Do not shut down the WingtraOne during the update process
- WingtraPilot will let you know when the update was successful. By clicking on "OK," you finalize the update process
If the update of WingtraOne fails, please repower WingtraOne and see if it succeeds. If it still fails, check out the troubleshooting section at the bottom of this article.
Step 4: Open the manual
- Go to the "My Files" app and open the "Manual_vX.Y.Z.pdf" located in /device storage/WingtraPilot/Releases/vX.Y.Z/. Make sure you use the Adobe Acrobat Reader app to open the manual
- To add a direct link to the manual from the home screen go to the "My Files" app and mark the manual file (hold on the filename for one second), click on "More" in the top right corner and select "Add shortcut on home screen"
Step 5: Verification
- Refresh and open WingtraPilot (click on tablet's menu button left of the home button and close the app, restart the app)
- On the "Welcome" menu: Check if the version number is X.Y.Z
- Power on WingtraOne, connect telemetry to the tablet, go to the "Settings" tab, then "General," and check for “WingtraOne Firmware Version: vX.Y.Z.” Submit a support request in case the version number is not correct or if you are in doubt about the version.
- Open the manual from the home screen
Nothing happens after I place the firmware on the card and insert into the drone
First check that the drone has power, telemetry connection and that the camera is connected. The next step is to look on the SD card to make sure the update file is in the root folder. If it is in the correct spot, transfer the file out of the folder, reformat the SD card, then transfer the update file back on the SD card so nothing else but the file is loaded. Reinsert the SD card into the drone, connect the telemetry, open the top cover and monitor the camera screen, click Enter on the camera to set image database, and then click to the general screen. If a message asking if you want to recover the data appear, click Cancel and proceed with the process.
The system should prompt you to update now. If downloading and copying within the update tab in WingtraPilot does not work automatically, you can download through the link provided in step 2. A tablet or computer can be used to transfer the update file to the SD card. The file “WingtraOne_vX.Y.Z.tar” needs to be dragged to the root directory of the SD card.
If you use a computer make sure to eject the USB properly. Make sure after formatting to press enter on the camera.
The message shows up that update failed
If WingtraPilot shows the following failure dialog, WingtraOne was not able to update. You need to retry updating WingtraOne by again copying the update files to the SD card via WingtraPilot and following the procedure as described above.
The message shows up that previous version restored
If WingtraPilot shows the following dialog, WingtraOne was not able to update and restored to the previous version. After confirming this dialog you need to restart update by copying again the update files to the SD card via WingtraPilot and follow the procedure as described above.
I get a warning about incompatibility of WingtraPilot and firmware versions
If WingtraPilot shows the following dialog, WingtraOne has a different firmware version than the application. Please follow the above procedure for updating both the tablet and drone.
I get the warning “WingtraOne is not fully set up. Please repower WingtraOne. If the problem persists please contact support”
If WingtraPilot shows the below message after powering on WingtraOne to update the firmware, do not power off WingtraOne. WingtraOne firmware will be updated despite this message. Wait having the plane powered on till the update is finished.